A friend just (seriously, about 4 mintues ago) asked me a question about SEO and the below is what I emailed to her. Quick and easy tips. SEO in a flash. The basics that will get you off on the right foot and will increase traffic to your site, starting with what I feel is the most important:
- Use wordpress as the backbone of your website. It’s SEO friendly and intuitive. And heck, it’s super-easy to build your site on this platform
- Think of what words your potential clients will be plugging in to Google to find you, and use those keywords on each page of your website.
- Also use those words on your Linkedin profile, Twitter profile, and Facebook page.
- Link back and forth between pages of your website. Not overkill, but make sure to do a few here and there.
- Write blog posts frequently and use specific keywords so your market will find you (big tip: link up your blog feed to your Twitter account and your Facebook page so you’re reaching hundreds or thousands of people at once).
- Write articles (tip: recycle as much content as possible. You want ot work smarter, not harder, so compile similar blog posts or a series of blog posts into an article and submit to my personal fave: Ezinearticles.com).
- Write press releases – write one when you launch your biz and submit to to top 5 or 6 online distribution sites (google search for them, they’re easy to find)
The first 2 or 3 tips are the fastest and easiest – things you can implement today.
There. Done. SEO in a matter of minutes.
Note: there’s much more to SEO and you can go layers and layers deep, but for those of us who have small(er) businesses with low (to no!) marketing budgets, this is a great place to start. I increased my business by over 200% in a matter of three weeks by simply implementing the 1st and 2nd point. Not bad, I’d say!
Happy New Year!